Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Homemade Flour Tortillas!

We have all had flour tortillas at least once in our lifetime, right?
Well, I sure hope so because if not..YOU ARE MISSING OUT!
Well, if you are from Texas....you have definitely had them, do not lie my fellow Texans! lol
But any who, even if you have not had them, now you can make your own!
This recipe has been passed down from my grandma, I am sure it is quite similar to others or it might be different and that is okay. My grandmother is from Mexico, and well, we have never really looked up how to make them because one of our family members knew how. So, this is the recipe my grandmother uses, and I am passing it down to you! You are welcome ha-ha, your taste buds will be crying tears of joy!

You are going to need: 
*About 3 Cups of Unbleached flour
* About 1 teaspoon of salt
*2 teaspoons of baking powder
* 4-5 Tablespoons of lard or vegetable shortening
* About 1 1/4 cup of warm water
* About 1/2 cup or flour to sprinkle on the rolling pin and or surface
* Large bowl
* Rolling pin
*Flat skillet 

***This recipe makes about 15 tortillas. 

*******I say about, because it can be more or less. You just have to play with it and feel it before you add more or less. Not to mention, we do not really measure things out, we kind of just eyeball it. Therefor, I did measure mine out for the purposes of sharing the recipe. As stated, you can use more or less. I will be showing pictures of the ingredients I used. Also, I say lard or vegetable shortening because I personally do not like the smell or taste or lard, it truly grosses me out. I know, I know as a Hispanic I should enjoy it and cook with it but I just cant.(Kidding, do not take it personal haha) Hey, if you can tolerate the smell and or taste, use it! It does not really make a difference. I use vegetable shortening and I like it.




As soon as you have everything measure out, you are going to put all the DRY ingredients in a bowl and mix them. After you add all the dry ingredients, add the lard or vegetable shortening and use or hand or a fork to fix it in. I personally use my hands, I feel like I can work better with my hands. Any who, little by little start adding in the warm water. As you add the warm water, start mixing it with your hand to start creating a dough ball. After the dough ball is made, start making medium sized balls. Make sure that they are somewhat flat and round. I will also insert a picture of what that looks like down below. Now, that the dough balls are made, let them rest for 5-8 minutes in a wet paper towel. After that is done, and they are done resting, get a smooth flat surface, sprinkle a little flour on the surface and to the dough ball. I also recommend adding a little amount of flour to the rolling pin, so as you are extending the dough the ball, it does not stick to the rolling pin. The way I do it, is I flatten the dough ball with my hand just a little and start rolling it out. I roll once upward and once downward, it should make a long-ish oval. Then you are going to turn it and roll top to bottom. DO NOT WORRY, MINE DO NOT ALWAYS COME OUT IN  A PERFECT CIRCLE. As soon, as I roll out all the dough balls, I heat up the skillet in a medium heat temperature and set the tortilla in there. You will see that the tortilla will start bubbling, I usually let one side cook about 45 seconds to a minute and then I flip to the other side.

*********As I am rolling out the tortillas I like to hang them from the edges of the bowl. I will also insert a picture.














There yall go, I hope yall enjoyed this post and will give this recipe a try! And if you do try it, share it, take a picture and or comment on this post so I can see your awesome creations!!! Thank you.
XOXO-Steph

2 comments: